Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Top Ten Character Names for a Pet

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Character Names for a Pet.

  1. Kestrel from The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski
  2. Darrow from Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown
  3. Sevro from Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown
  4. Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
  5. Dimitri from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  6. Oz from Thunder Road from Katie McGarry
  7. Rhaegar from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
  8. Blue from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
  9. Jasper from Jasper Dent by Barry Lyga
  10. Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

I'm very picky about kids' names. While I love books and book characters, I just can't see naming one of my children after a book character. I really want my kids' names to have specific meanings. Nothing's wrong with naming your kids after book characters, but that's just not my jam. However, I think naming pets after book characters is a great idea. And you can bit a bit more fun and funky with pet names as well. What are your top character names? Let me know!

Update: It was brought to my attention by Holly that perhaps I should offer some clarification here. I interpreted the topic of naming a child AFTER a character as just that...naming a child based on a character...not just taking the name of a character and leaving the character behind. In actuality, I first saw the name "Ever" in a book. It wasn't a particularly good book in my opinion and the character was neither particularly spectacular nor particularly bad either. Regardless, I liked the name and kept it in my back pocket. When the time came, "Ever" became the first name of my daughter. But that was because her first name is paired with the middle name "Lael" which means "belonging to God" in Hebrew. Her name together (Ever Lael) means "always belonging to God". So while in some ways I did name my child BECAUSE of a character in a book, I didn't name her AFTER a character in a book because the book was so far removed from me and the reason why I loved the name and chose it for my daughter.

7 comments:

  1. I do like names that are "different" for my kids from like every day names like David or Molly or Jennifer or James...etc. But like I said, I'm more interested in what the name means when it comes to naming my kids. But I'm glad that we can both agree that Dimitri is a great name! :) Thanks for stopping by Vonze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't he though? :) Glad we had one in common! Thanks for stopping by Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dimka! :) Glad we agree on a few. Thanks for stopping by Mariela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! Well my daughter might have to explain her name, but I don't mind it since the meaning behind it. She might feel differently though. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tracy! And thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete